The HESI test is a requirement for all students in the Veterinary Technician program. Students in this program must complete their first semester of classes with a C- or better and have received a cumulative score of 60% or higher in the HESI exam before they can start their second semester of classes.
The use of cellphones during this exam is strictly prohibited.
The HESI exam will consists of the following subject areas:
Reading Comprehension: Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
Grammar: Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
Math: Focus of math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ration and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
Anatomy and Physiology: Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
Student must receive an overall score of 60% or above.
You can stop in the bookstore to purchase the Pre-VTEC HESI Exam Entrance Card, or order it through the bookstore’s website.
- Bookstore hours: Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Friday 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- This item is available at the registers for $69.50, see a bookstore cashier for assistance.
- If ordering online, the Admission Card is listed under VTEC 9999-99 or CONTINUING ED 20 (order now).
Students must contact our Testing Center at email@example.com or 651-423-8000 once the exam code has been purchased from the Bookstore to receive instructions on scheduling the exam.
Important notes for testing:
- You will need to have your Evolve username and password in order to test (you will be prompted for this after starting your exam session).
- You’ll need a computer, a webcam, and a microphone to take this exam. You will also need to be in a well-lit, private and quiet area that is free from interruption.
- You will be connected to a live proctor for this exam. Your face and your screen will also be recorded through the duration of the exam.
- You will be asked to show your entire testing space during the startup process.
- The startup process will take between 10-15 minutes and does not deduct against your actual exam time.
- It is important that you have enough bandwidth available during the exam. Be aware that other people on your network streaming videos or using excessive bandwidth can impact your testing experience.
- Please be sure to review the Exam Day Checklist and run the appropriate HESI Compatibility Check prior to your test date.
Resources for Students
HESI Prep Class
DCTC partners with District 196- Adult Basic Education staff to offer the HESI prep class.
Fall 2021 Semester Schedule
In-person orientation will be on-site at DCTC /pre-testing: Tuesday, September 21 or Thursday, Sept 23, 2021, from 2 – 5 p.m. in Room 2-104.
Class: Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30-4:30 pm (2 hr Zoom class, 1.5 hr online work)
Classes start September 28 and end November 23, 2021, 16 class periods
No class on October 21, 2021 (Fall Break)
HESI: Admission Assessment Exam Review, 5th Edition
Free practice exams are available on the LearningExpress Library. Students will be required to create a username and password in order to utilize the site. Once logged in, search for HESI in the search bar tab and several practice tests are available.
For questions on the HESI exam process or to sign up for the HESI Prep Class please contact our Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your interest. The class will be limited to the first 24 students that respond.